To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

CMPT 405 and 419

edited April 2015 in General
Hello,
   Did anyone took these courses (405 with Joseph Peters and 419 with Greg Mori) ?
If possible, what is the difficulty of these courses and what other courses could it be compared to from the other CMPT courses ?

Comments

• They are very hard courses. Peters with 405 will be super hard, and 419 is one of the toughest courses.....LOL
  • Remember 307? Ok well take 307 and imagine it 3 times harder. 
    Also avoid 407.
    CMPT 405, 407, and 419 are crossover courses from grad level (700+) courses. If you really want to do one of those, only take 1 from the 3.
  • I've heard 419 is very challenging, requires *solid* math skills.

Go look at the past course websites, it requires A average in many math courses, so you know how tough it is.

405 is deeper version of 307, should be if you're good with algorithms. When I took it, the prof used CLRS as text book, which is the standard textbook for this kind of courses. There are copies of it in the library, you can review relavent chapters to see if you can handle it.

Unless you're one of those people who take five 400 level courses and pull straight As, I would recommend against taking them two at the same term.

Leave a Comment