To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

SFU Burnaby to Harbour Centre?

edited March 2015 in General
I'm currently choosing my classes for the summer semester. It just so happens that this one course I want to take is in the harbour centre and I only have an hour to get there from burnaby. Does anyone know if it's possible to travel from the burnaby campus to the harbour centre using public transit within an hour? (wednesdays 4:20 to 5:30 pm) 

Comments

• Yes.

Average time it takes to get from campus to campus is about 45-50 minutes on non-rush-hour time via 135. A little less via 145 + SkyTrain depending on traffic, but you lose the benefit of not having to transfer.

I see your window of time to get from campus to campus is just before rush hour. You can probably make it via 135 but if you find yourself being late a lot try the 145 + SkyTrain method as this saves me a lot of time during rush hour when I need to go DT from SFU during rush hour, as huge traffic jams occur on Hastings and Cassiar adding 10-20 minutes in traffic creeping.

But, yes.
  • Hi,

I agree with TalkUBC. I travelled to the Harbor Centre for a 5h30 class one semester, and always made it on time with the 135. :)

• I've actually only encountered one traffic jam on the 135 this semester when I leave around 4:40 from SFU Burnaby (note: this is one day a week). You should have enough time to make it there.

Luckily everything is in walking distance once you get into that general area, so if you're ever stuck, don't be afraid to walk!
  • ^My traffic jam was around 5:30-6ish. Evening rush "hour" is generally around 5-7 but then again this was on a Friday so everyone probably rushing to get home and start their weekend instead of staying a little later at work.

But that is true, bus driver opened the door to let people off and walk if they needed to.

So basically= VOTE YES! FOR THE TRANSIT REFERENDUM IF YOU WANT LESS TRAFFIC. 
    More B-Line buses mean less people need cars= less traffic= buses move around faster AND cars move faster since buses can literally b-line and is always in the right-lane anyway so cars can pass easily with reduced traffic.

• Ah. You're right, damn it TalkUBC. Always successfully one-upping me :(
  • Lol when have I ever "one-upped" you before, I'm just giving my 2 cents :P Your suggestion was good I didn't realize the big traffic differences in small time differences, but now I know :)
  • Nah, I'm just bugging you, haha... sorry. But you do know your stuff!
  • Haha it's cool I lived here my whole life that's why lol

Leave a Comment