To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Q Placement Test

edited March 2015 in General
For reference, I have never been good at math and have not taken a math course in 3 years. Any ideas on which book I can use to prepare for the topics listed on the SFU website? Please share your tips and experiences with me! 

Thanks everybody

Comments

• this is sad, but i've never heard of the Q placement test before. :S

book-wise i'm not sure, but you could take a stab at looking through Khan Academy videos!
    lynda.com should also have lots of resources to help you (log in link through SFU library)

either way, best wishes for you! you can do it.
  • Hi,

You might want to take a look at math 11/12 books?

I didn't know there was a Q placement test either :o
  • Hmmm... Your best bet would be to (a) talk to a advisor, (b) study up on all your basic mathematics. A great site to test your self is Khan Academy. I can't see SFU expecting every student to be fluent in Math, for, they only expect high school students to finish basic Grad 11 Math with a high average (I'm
     pretty sure). So in that case, this Q placement test is simply a test that is enacted to help you, not slow you down. So don't worry so much: Study what you do know; and try your best. This way, after the test, SFU will prevent you from taking courses that they feel you are statistically going to fail. It's pretty scary when you fail a course and know you are unable to do any better. Good luck!!

p.s, if you really do not enjoy common math (Stats, Algebra, Calculus...etc.) SFU actually offers many alternatives for those who may shine in other quantitative categories. For example, I hate math, and for the longest time I thought I was horrible at it too. A few semesters ago, I chose to take a computer science course, and absolutely dominated it. Turns out I am actually really great at Math; it just took me some time to understand what I find interesting. So SFU offered me to take a higher level Compsci course, which replaced all my Qlevel course for my degree.
  • I think high school students have to do Math 12 now.

Leave a Comment