To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Grad School

edited March 2015 in General
I'm a first year student and I want finish my bachelors and continue with a Masters in Political Science. I did some research and found that the minimum gpa is a 3.0. Is that a black and white situation? As in, if you're above 3.0, you get admission and if you're below, you don't get in? Or is it simply a minimum and you're admission is dependent on other applicants and the competition?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2015
    I don't know what it's like for political science, but for business, for example, there are other factors involved. A huge factor is work experience. The minimum is 3.00 GPA, but most are significantly above that. If you have several years of field experience, you can get into a graduate program with a GPA that is on the lower end. It's extremely competitive so try to aim for at least 3.20 to 3.30.
  • A GPA at 3.0 or higher doesn't guarantee admission. You are competing against others who are applying so 3.0 is just a guideline. 
  • I have a question here. What if you have a really good GPA like around 3.6, would this blow the competition out the water? 

And say what if you are sick of school and your career doesn't require a Master's so you leave school, but later on you decide you want to do research and get your Master's.

Would that 3.6 GPA be taken into account or would they be looking at different stuff by that point? Such as solely entrance exam scores or work experience etc.
  • edited March 2015
    The later you apply for a graduate school program after university, the less valuable your GPA will be. Let's say you graduate with a business degree, then work for 6 years. You decide that you want to pursue a master's degree. They will mainly focus on your GMAT score and your work experience. They might take a glance at your transcripts, but it wouldn't be as important.
  • So it seems to be very subjective depending on the Entrance Committee or whatever they have, in addition to the entrance exam score.
  • What happens if you go to your first year Master's and finish your first year, leave to the work force and come back. Do you just pick up where you left off or is there another entrance exam etc.

Leave a Comment