To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

What is communications?

Beh
edited February 2015 in General
I'm thinking of trying out different courses from different departments to see what I really like. What is communications? And what course should I try from it to see if I enjoy it? 

Comments

• You can look around various department pages to get an idea. From Communication's page, briefly:

"Areas of study and research include: cultural policy and politics; globalization, social change, and social justice; history and theory of communication; media and cultural studies; political theory; technology and society"
  • The easiest faculty and courses.
  • edited March 2015
    I think the education faculty is the faculty with the easiest courses considering the cumulative GPA for all their classes is approximately 3.6.
  • ^this is true. Confirmed on the annual SFU grades report. The line graph, you can see the education way up there haha. Lowest is MBB I believe.
  • Who are the least, hmm, let's say intellectual students? One vote for Communication and a couple for Education...
  • edited March 2015
    I think the lowest programs in terms of GPA were mathematics, computing science, MBB, engineering science, and psychology.

It's unfair with respect to scholarships. Students in easier programs can get scholarships much easier since bursaries are contingent on GPA.
  • Computing science is hard lol I'm in my 4th year and I'm happy to even pass.
  • It is indeed unfair. Especially for open scholarships. Scholarships depend on CGPA  and GPA but bursaries are by financial need isn't it? Though there is a minimum GPA, but it's pretty easy.
  • I was just using bursaries interchangeably for scholarships, but yes, bursaries are technically awards given to students on the basis of financial need.
  • edited March 2015
    Might I add, financial "need". I feel it's more financial "want" in some instances, because if you don't live on your own it's virtually impossible to get bursaries (speaking from experience) despite how little resources and zero parental contribution you have.

So kids who move out for uni even though they have the option to continue to stay in their parents' home but move out just for the sake of it and to have fun are able to get these bursaries.

And people who have to endure staying with their parents for better long-term financial security aren't able to.

Leave a Comment