To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

First year failure

Beh
edited February 2015 in General
Hello everybody. I am a first year student and I am halfway through my 2nd semester at the moment. During my first semester, I took 4 classes and my GPA was at a 2.25..... that's awful, I'm aware. I know what I did wrong, and what I need to work on. I'm not doing so well in my 4 classes right now either. I didn't have any motivation until now. I'm a little worried that I'll be put on academic probation since I'm really close to dropping under a 2.0. 

My question is, do I still have a chance for grad school? Or did I mess up too much already? I want to get a Master's in psychology, since a BA in psychology is almost useless. Do you think there is still hope for me to reach a 3.0 GPA if I put all of my effort into it? Or is it too late now that I completely screwed up my first year? :( I feel like a failure and it's only my first year. It just hit me how difficult and heavy university is compared to high school. I'm ready to buckle down.

Comments

• Can I take as many credits as I'd like to before I graduate and receive my bachelors? So for example, if I'm close to a 3.0 gpa but not there yet, can I take more classes to bump it up and THEN get my BA?
  • edited February 2015
    You can take as many credits as you want. You also have 5 retakes so keep that in mind. Reaching 3.00 GPA is super easy if you just apply yourself. You probably only have around 26ish credits at the moment so let's say the next term you take 4 courses and get a 3.35 GPA (2 A- and 2 B which is reasonable). You will jump up from a 2.00 to a 2.36 in one term. That gives you an idea of what you can expect in your future terms. Because you don't have that many credits at the moment, your GPA is volatile and will experience huge jumps.
  • Beh, it is true that university is often vastly different from high school. Do not be afraid to get help from places like Student Learning Commons. They have consultations as well as online resources like studying and learning:

http://www.lib.sfu.ca/slc/strategies/learning-studying

Leave a Comment