To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Need some suggestions about a computing science minor

edited January 2015 in General
My major is business and I heard it's kinda difficult for a business student to find a job soon, I'm considering taking a computing science minor now, but I have no idea if its worthy to spend more time and money, can someone have some ideas or experience about that just give me some suggestions, I really appreciate that.
Thanks!

Comments

• I wouldn't say the market for business majors is bad. I would say though that the market for computing majors is generally pretty good. I am not really sure if the same can be said of a computing minor though. That said if you were to do self study on your own I could see someone turning a computing minor into a tech job. Or if you found a business job that had a technology focus I could see a computing minor being beneficial. 

If I were you I would take CMPT 120 as an elective and see if you like it.
    If you do then you can maybe consider doing a computing minor.
    If you do not like it you still get credit and a B-Sci.
  • Ryan hit the nail on the head.

Comp sci major + Business minor > Business major + Comp sci minor IMO though in this day and age.
  • It all depends what you want to do. Having a little computing science knowledge might help you in certain areas such as business intelligence or business analyst positions. Generally if you want to go into the MIS field where you work with databases and stuff like that, having a little basic knowledge couldn't hurt, but no, a computing science minor won't get you a position like system analyst or something like that.
  • There's the Comp Sci/Business Joint major you could do as well

Leave a Comment