To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Easiest 100/200-level PHIL course to take?

edited October 2014 in General
I need to take a PHIL course as a requirement for my Criminology degree. I can't decide which one to take. 

I'm considering taking one of the following:
PHIL 100
PHIL 110
PHIL 120
PHIL 280

Have you taken any of those courses before? And if so, how is the course and who was your professor?

Also, for the W PHIL courses, are they actually heavy in writing?

Comments

• Oh, just kidding, NOT considering any 200-level PHIL courses.
  • PHIL XX1 was decent. It is the kind of course though that some people find easy and others find hard though. I haven't taken any of the others but the general consensus is PHIL is a bad idea unless you have to take it are really interested in it and willing to work at it.

If you aren't into philosophy, and can fulfill the requirement any other way, you should probably take something else.
  • I'm taking PHIL 120W with Tiffany and it's pretty easy. You just need to be able to write an essay. Expect to spend your homework time reading rather than working on stuff.

Exams are multiple choice (with some "select all that apply") - best if you write out each reading in your own words and break it into bullet points 
    b/c the papers you read are written poetically whereas the exam is more crystallized thoughts rather than a general feel for what the paper was about.

That being said I'd look at who's teaching each of the courses, and check them on ratemyprof.com paying special attention to who took the course you're interested in, cause it can vary wildly with the teacher.

I've heard that 120W is easier than 100. Mileage may vary.

Leave a Comment