To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Advice on Q Placement Test

edited July 2011 in General
Hello,

I need to take the Q placement test as a result of my poor performance in math 12. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what topics are crucial to study, which formula's are necessary to know, how similar it is to the practice test and any other information that could help me do well on the test.

Thanks for Responding!

Comments

• Hi, I took the test a few years ago and I made a thread with similar questions. IRC most of the stuff is really basic, probably not beyond Math 10. The actual test is extremely similar to the practice test you find online. Make sure you actually understand the practice test, and not just guess through the answers until you get it right. IRC there are literally a bunch of questions on the actual test that are pulled directly from the practice test with different numbers. You just need 20 correct so make sure that you get all of the easy questions they throw at you in the beginning. It might be beneficial to take it timed, because for me I started to run out of time when I reached the end IRC.

Just as an aside, I failed the test by 1 (got 19). I was obviously crushed and extremely disappointed because it was going to delay my studies and I had to blow all of that money on a course that didn't count towards graduation. However, I have to say that I'm extremely happy that I took the FAN course because I think it really helped me in the subsequent Q courses I had to take. I ended up getting an A+ in Stats 203, A in CRIM 220, and A+ in CRIM 320. I don't think it would have been possible had I not taken the FAN course, so just remember that even if you don't pass (hopefully you will, it's not that hard) it's not the end of the world by any means, and FAN might actually help you a lot in the Q courses like it did for me.

Oh PS here's the original thread:
    http://talksfu.ca/forum/discussion/5280/q-placement-test#Item_14
  • like the above post mentions, it's not necessarily a terrible thing if you fail your math placement test, as it probably means you will stand to benefit from some review.

I scraped by with a fairly narrow pass (on the calculus readiness test, not the Q placement test) and went straight into Math 151 (among other things) with a somewhat insufficient math background, and it made for some terrible times and shitty marks.

Leave a Comment