To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Who do I write to..?

edited August 2014 in General
I know this is the second thread I've made on a similarish topic.

But basically the tl;dr is I took two Q courses.
Got an email saying they were gonna drop them cause I didn't meet the requirements I was just informed of then, I rushed the Q test and without getting a chance to as much as look at the practice test, I messed up scoring 19 out of the required 20.

Anyway I just spoke to a student advisor who basically said I was screwed and they will likely drop the courses within the week and there was nothing I can do. 

Anyway I know it's a long shot, But I figured I would try to find someone who has power over these things. And send them a well articulated email explaining how I would of done something about my 69% in Pre-Calculus twelve had I known it matters, or taken foundations 11 or something (69% in precal 12 is about 98-99% in foundations 11, seriously who comes up with these BS requirements where 70 in the two are equivalent?) Or how had I been informed prior to my course selection I could have planned my classes around not being able to take Q, or even had I not been falsely informed that my courses would be dropped last Monday I would of taken more time to take the Q test and studies so that I didn't end up one mark short.
And ask if there is anything I can do to stay enrolled, take fanX simultaneously, maybe they will let me redo the Q test anything.

But SFU's site is a maze, and I really have no idea who I would email? 
Anyone know who would be able to make a decision on this?
Additionally I figured I would email the profs, and ask them to keep me in the class despite not meeting the Q requirement. Anyone wanna estimate what my chance of success on that is?

Comments

• Q's are a university wide requirement, so it is harder to say who the right person to talk to would be. I am pretty sure the prof would not have the power to overrule it. The academic adviser for the faculty of the Q courses might be able to point you towards someone. Unfortunately I do not think you are going to have much luck getting an exception though.

For what it is worth you can check out this thread though where someone was in the exact same situation as you, they took FAN x99, and found it to be very valuable. http://talksfu.ca/forum/discussion/7991/advice-on-q-placement-test/p1

Leave a Comment