To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

laptops?

edited October 2006 in General
hey guys im gonna be starting 1st year in september and was wondering if people actually take their laptops to class like in the movies :embarassed:

Comments

• edited August 2006
    yea there are people who take them to class, not so much in first year but the numbers have been growing. id suggest only doing so if you are actually gonna take notes and pay attention, it helps a lot when u are studying later. a lot of people take their laptops to class and just play games the whole time.. if you are plannin on doin that then don't its just going to waste ur time and u will see the results when u get ur midterms back!
  • edited August 2006
    hey im in the market for a laptop too.. anyone heard of any good deals out there?
  • edited August 2006
    Is it really necessary to get a laptop? ive been using a desktop for my school work and its never let me down.. plus u can get really good deals on them these days
  • edited August 2006
    No man definatley go for the laptop. You'll realize how great it is when u finally have one. Mobility being the more obvious reason, and even though u have limitations due to battery, there are many outlets in every lecture hall so jus grab a seat close to one and you'll be fine. But I strongly suggest you to buy a small and light one. Don't buy those powerful laptops which are big and heavy as hell... u got plenty of other textbooks to carry around anyways

I'm not a Genius. Just a Hustla Who Has Eyes To Study
  • edited September 2006
    falco85 said:
    Is it really necessary to get a laptop? ive been using a desktop for my school work and its never let me down.. plus u can get really good deals on them these days
    Not necessary but definitely a luxury. Whether or not it will get you better marks is debateable.
  • edited September 2006
    I picked one up for this semester and it has really been helping me keep up with the profs notes. Since the profs are making these digital presentations they go through the slides much faster so a laptop makes taking notes easier...plus u can add pictures and graphs so the resulting notes are a lot more useful. PLUS you can go on TalkSFU while your in class:teeth:
  • edited September 2006
    Smartso said:
    PLUS you can go on TalkSFU while your in class:teeth:
    haha i second that
  • edited September 2006
    Having a laptop in class can really help. And who cares if you're in the minority? The best thing is to have notes on your computer. If you're looking for something in particular, it's a heck of a lot easier to hit Control+F that to comb handwritten notes. A lifesaver.
  • edited September 2006
    I have always been a pen and paper person, then I transfer to computer - which gives me a reason to review and a chance to clean up my act.
  • edited September 2006
    Most laptops have bluetooth or Wifi these days. So why don't the profs just send their presentations to all the students with laptops? It will be useful for them and they can share it with their other friends too.
  • edited October 2006
    yeah that will be very helpfull for u but take care of your things pal

Leave a Comment