To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Academic Probation? :S I'm scared

edited November 2007 in General
Well, I'm not on academic probation... YET, i think....

my chem 121 course isn't going so well.
first midterm i got 33%, 2nd midterm i got 47%. ouch.

assignment marks are at a 95% and lab is about 73%.
these aren't that bad.......

so right now, i'm at a 59% but i don't know what's gonna happen after my prof curves the marks.

if i don't do good on this final, i'm gonna be screwed.

what happens in academic probation? can anyone explain it?

i'm really worried..

Comments

• edited November 2006
    chem 121 is actually a pretty easy course. the final is all multiple choice questions.

anyway, the school look at ur academic record every summer. so if you are in AP right now, u still have spring and summer semester to pull up ur cgpa. if u fail to get out of AP after summer then u are screwed. u will be kicked out of SFU.

good luck!
  • edited November 2006
    how do you know if your on academic probation? im kinda worried now too with my physics 101 class
  • edited November 2006
    you should be able to check on your transcript on go.sfu
    usually if your cgpa is below 2.0 then you are probably on AP except for engineering students which is 2.4 grrrrr...
  • edited November 2006
    If you get put on AP they actually mail you a transcript and a lovenote saying you're on it. The rules are -

On AP if EITHER CGPA or SGPA are below 2.0
    Required to withdraw if BOTH are below 2.0
    Off AP if BOTH are above 2.0

http://students.sfu.ca/ar/acadstand/oap.html

An addendum -

For science courses, professors usually show how the marks distribution looks after each midterm. You can get a feel for how well/not well you're doing relative to the average (which usually scales to a B or B-) and whether or not you can get away with a low mark on the final.
  • edited November 2006
    Yikes...

Maybe you should go chat with the prof and see if you can get some extra help before the exam? It'd be a good time to find a tutor if you still can!

Good luck
  • edited November 2006
    NukeChem said:
    If you get put on AP they actually mail you a transcript and a lovenote saying you're on it. The rules are -

On AP if EITHER CGPA or SGPA are below 2.0
    Required to withdraw if BOTH are below 2.0
    Off AP if BOTH are above 2.0

http://students.sfu.ca/ar/acadstand/oap.html

An addendum -

For science courses, professors usually show how the marks distribution looks after each midterm. You can get a feel for how well/not well you're doing relative to the average (which usually scales to a B or B-) and whether or not you can get away with a low mark on the final.
    nukechem's got it.. may i add that you can be on AP as long as you want provided that either your CGPA or SGPA is above 2.0..
  • edited November 2006
    Incidentally, I majored in Chemistry and my graduate degree will also be Chemistry. :tongue:

I don't know if I could help much this close to the final, but I do know if you have Dr. Hill for a professor for 121 (I think he's teaching it this semester), he's not the greatest chem prof to begin with. I had a class with him and scraped a C-. I regretted doing that Materials Chemistry elective course (Chem 340); I've heard Dr. Ye is a bit better.
  • edited November 2006
    Hey Siuying I am an expert in academic probation...not that I'm proud of that but I've gotten through a few situations.:embarassed: You won't be kicked out for failing Chemistry. If your semester gpa is below 2.0 you will be put on "AP" and you will get a letter in the mail. You then have one semester to bring your GPA above 2.0. If you still can't do that, you are kicked out, at which point you would have to go to college and obtain a 3.0 for 2 semesters before they let you back in. Hope I didn't scare you or anything...
  • edited November 2006
    i think maybe we're in the same chem class? i hav 121 @ 1030

i seriously havnt gotten anything in lectures since like a month+ ago when we started lewis structures

i learn everything out of the textbook now :(
  • edited November 2006
    imelting said:
    i think maybe we're in the same chem class? i hav 121 @ 1030

i seriously havnt gotten anything in lectures since like a month+ ago when we started lewis structures

i learn everything out of the textbook now :(

OMG me too.. after Dr. Holdcroft left and we got Dr. Hill, I've been so behind. I don't get ANYTHING!!!!! He's horrible....... :confused:

His lectures are so bad... I'm learning everything from the textbook too....
  • edited November 2006
    Hey,
    thanks for the comment guys. =)

Well, my overall GPA for sure isn't under 2.0 because I'm doing pretty well in my other courses.
    If my CGPA is above 2.0 and I still fail chem 121, it's completely fine? I just need to retake it right then it's all good?
  • edited November 2006
  • edited November 2006
    Jimmy Tung said:
    Thanks Jimmy :smile:
  • edited November 2006
    KarEntropy said:
    Hey Siuying I am an expert in academic probation...not that I'm proud of that but I've gotten through a few situations.:embarassed: You won't be kicked out for failing Chemistry. If your semester gpa is below 2.0 you will be put on "AP" and you will get a letter in the mail. You then have one semester to bring your GPA above 2.0. If you still can't do that, you are kicked out, at which point you would have to go to college and obtain a 3.0 for 2 semesters before they let you back in. Hope I didn't scare you or anything...
    oh really?? is that how it works?? because this is my 2nd semester in AP and i haven't received any notice about withdrawals or anything like that.. hmm now i'm confused myself.. @_@ and don't be embarrassed... kudos to getting thru the situations.. =)
  • edited November 2006
    ^As I said, they only check your cgpa after summer semester is over.
  • edited December 2006
    I'm in my first semester and I am also scared. I just found out my moms having another baby and I flipped out and then ended up tanking (I think) my Geog111 final. It wasn't even that hard but yeah I will be surprised if pass and if I fail, that means I fail the cousre. Does this mean I will for sure be on AP?

My other marks should be "ok" but I mean my Psych 100 isn't all that high. I did well on my paper part 1 and 2 and my presentation, but the tests are a different story lol. And just to be clear, 2.00 GPA is like 50%?
  • edited December 2006
    4.33 a+
    4.00 a
    3.67 a-
    3.33 b+
    3.00 b
    2.67 b-
    2.33 c+
    2.00 c
    1.67 c-
    1.00 d
    0.00 f

what % = what grades, thats up to ur prof and how the class is stuctured

if u get oap for next sem, just make sure u get over 2.0 for the semester, and u will stay in sfu
    and u will get off probation when the cgpa is above 2.0
  • edited December 2006
    how do you calculate the cgpa??
  • edited December 2006
    DAMN. Some things I JUST passed and I thought it was fine because that was equal to 2. LOL my GPA will have to be lower then. I guess I'll see hmmm IF I knew i would have been aiming higherlol
  • edited December 2006
    To get CGPA, just add up all your scores and find the average (divide by the number of scores).

For example:
    Course 1 - A (4.00)
    Course 2 - B+ (3.33)
    Course 3 - A- (3.67)
    Course 4 - B (3.00)

4.00+3.33+3.67+3.00 = 14 divided by 4 (number of courses) = CGPA of 3.5
  • edited December 2006
    u actually gotta do the

sum of ( gpa * credit hours ) / total credit hours
    because some courses are 3,4,5 credits etc

just refer to the transcript and see how they calculate it heh cause some courses are pass fail and has no gpa, but has credit hours that applies to graduation and stuf
  • edited December 2006
    Ahh right. Thanks! I forgot about the credit hours thing since I hadn't taken any 4 credit courses yet. :teeth:
  • edited April 2007
    ok, so i've been on academic probation for 2 semesters now (fall and spring). i have 1 more semester (summer) to pull my current GPA to 2.0.

is this correct ??
  • edited April 2007
    em... if you had failed to get a 2 gpa for 2 semesters, you are out of this school
  • edited April 2007
    fuck i might be on AP, failed Bio102 fucking lab exam being fucking "do or die" fuck fuck fuck fuck now i have to fucking retake the fucking course

/end rant
  • edited April 2007
    Jimmy Tung said:
    fuck i might be on AP, failed Bio102 fucking lab exam being fucking "do or die" fuck fuck fuck fuck now i have to fucking retake the fucking course

/end rant
    oh man that sucks :(

deja vu--didn't this happen to some other poor fellow on this forum last semester??
  • edited April 2007
    Chowzzer said:
    ok, so i've been on academic probation for 2 semesters now (fall and spring). i have 1 more semester (summer) to pull my current GPA to 2.0. is this correct ??
    Your Cumulative GPA can be below 2.0 as long as your semester gpa is above 2.0. So if your gpa for summer is above 2.0, you're fine.
  • edited November 2007
    Here is a GPA calculator to help with calculations:

http://students.sfu.ca/advising/academic/calculators/
  • edited November 2007
    i always thought it went like this:

initially get on AP when CGPA is under 2.0, and you continue to be on AP until CGPA and SGPA is over 2.0. but as long as your SGPA does not drop under 2.0, you ll just continue being on AP until CGPA is over 2.0

AP isnt that bad...ok it is....but if you just failed one class and do decent in the others, your CGPA shouldnt be too low, so if you just get a C+ average or something the next sem you ll be off already!!
  • edited November 2007
    eca21;18074 said:
    Here is a GPA calculator to help with calculations:

http://students.sfu.ca/advising/academic/calculators/
    That's fuckin awesome, I didn't even know that a gpa calculator existed

Leave a Comment