To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Has any one ever tried taking four 300/400 courses per seem for three semesters in a row?

edited May 2015 in General
I'm in a rush to graduate and I only need 47 more credits . I've met several setbacks in the past such as being RTW and being in BOT so one of my goals is to get a good GPA and try my best to graduate in a timely manner. As for grades, I'm not really worried about it anymore because the issues I was having in life while I was in BOT got cleared up and I have a totally new attitude towards school now. I met with my advisor today and he said doing this (what the title says) would cause a mental burn out and he does not recommend me doing that. 

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

EDIT: Whoops, title is supposed to say "sem" and not "seem"

Comments

• edited May 2015
    I've done it for three semesters in a row and i'm guessing I got around a 3.5 or so. I'm in business by the way. Advisers like to make things sound harder than they are. Most my classes are a joke honestly. It all comes down to what you're doing with your time. If you have a job and/or involved with clubs, it'll probably require you to put in some extra effort to keep up with material. Honestly though, graduating early is pointless. I would much rather take my time and learn things thoroughly rather than trying to get school over with.
  • ^Unless you're in Arts or something and just trying to get that paper degree...sticking around and losing $ is pointless than graduating early. Esp. when you know your career path already.

And I agree, advisors love to make things sound much harder. It's like they are taught to do that to keep you at SFU as long as possible because they want your $$$$. But there's some truth to that though, you don't want to build yourself up and redeeming yourself from your RTW and come down crashing at the end and lose motivation. Take it easy. You know your pace best and don't try to burnout. What I said about the $, is true to some degree in that you  just pay extra school fees but since the credits are less and more spread out you pay less tuition. 

But I thought that's what you're supposed to do? Esp. when you're in 4th year. Like you've done all your electives already.
  • The advisor gave me a really weird look when I suggested this to him.... but now that you say it, it does seem pretty normal - I'm just taking the summer semester as well. I'm in Arts and I am pretty sure of what I will do after I graduate so as you said, I think its pointless to stay in school for any longer when I know I can finish in the quickest time possible. I feel if its uncritical to spend unnecessary time in school when I could actually be using the time to graduate early and enter the work force to gain income.

If I do plan to take the fall, spring and summer semester with a full course load, I'll be sure to remember not to come crashing and lose motivation. I'm working hard!! :)

Thanks for your input everyone!
  • edited May 2015
    Well full course load for Fall and Spring semester should suffice since SFU is on tri-mester system, you should still be fine. Besides, most course offerings are not available in the summer semester.

It basically comes down to GPA vs. credits. If you're trying to get a good GPA to go into graduate school or some field of work that relies heavily on GPA for entry-level positions then it may make sense to pace things a bit slower, but if it's all about just having a degree and experience then it'd make sense to whiz by and even do co-op additionally.

It all depends on the career path. Do what makes sense and is logical in that field.

Leave a Comment